Sunday 12 June 2011

Walthamstow market fabric haul

So yesterday I went to Walthamstow market to check out the cheap fabric Karen's always raving about. And I wasn't disappointed! I came away with 2m of each of these for around a tenner:



Bargain!

The eagle eyed amongst you might notice that I have been a bit of a copycat. I knew I was buying a gingham similar to the one Karen used for her Pendrell, but it wasn't until later that I realised I've also copied her with the yellow fabric too. Um. Hope you don't mind Karen! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that...

So. Now to decide what to make. Like about 90% of the sewing world, I've recently purchased the Ginger and the Pendrell.


I'm excited! After seeing all the beautiful versions of the Pendrell out there, I couldn't not snap it up, and Sunni's sewalong for the Ginger had me champing at the bit to get my mitts on the pattern. Her versions are just stunning. It also helps that there's a sewalong for the Pendrell, I love having all the tips on-hand.

Now to match fabric to patterns...I was thinking either the yellow or the pink and white floral for a Ginger - what do you think? I'm imagining the yellow with red pockets, something like this version of Sunni's. But I'm torn, because they're the two I'd like to use for the Pendrell too...

As for the gingham, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it yet - I loved Karen's gingham Pendrell, but that might be a little too single white female, so I'm waiting for inspiration to strike! Perhaps an interior (curtain? cushion?) rather than clothing. And I've got my eye on the green paisley-esque fabric for a collarless Rooibos, along the lines of Roisin's version. Or would that be a little OTT?? What say you?

Hope you are all having a lovely Sunday - it's dull and wet in my corner of London, so I'm in clean pjs, full of french toast, and not planning to leave the flat, while Matt makes fresh bread in the kitchen. Perfect! I've also been dedicating a little too much time to my addiction. Yep. I'm addicted to...Guitar Hero. Bet you didn't see that one coming. I spent Christmas a few years ago pretty much sofa-bound with back pain that only champagne and brandy cocktails could cure, and not much else to do other than play my sister's wii. And lo, a passion was born. It was one only indulged from afar over the past few years, but this week we got our own wii (uber cheap as the new one is coming out soon) and I've been shamelessly ignoring my poor boyfriend, working my way through all the levels. I'm sure it will be short lived, but for now it's bloody good fun...!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fab day! I think that yellow fabric would look great as the ginger skirt. I think I have that buried in my stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great haul! I'd be tempted to do version 3 of the Ginger in the gingham to give it a bit of a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I love the one with the big cabbagey roses on it! I'm thinking that the gingham would make a very cute sundress or shirt-dress.

    That is all! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think either the yellow print or the gingham print for your Ginger. The pink rose print would make a lovely Pendrell. And don't worry about copying Karen, I copy her all the time! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Fabulous to hear that you had a good haul. I'd use the yellow fabric for the skirt. It has a slight stiffness to it that I think would suit a skirt better. Also, it doesn't crease easily which would make it a great practical wear as a skirt. Good luck! Glad to see you're sewing again!

    ReplyDelete